In our opinion, the main factors of destabilization impeding a durable pacification of the Kivu region are:
· Impunity still benefiting to so many uneducated leaders who have been involved in corruption offenses and blood crimes
· Arms sales to illegal gangs & militias
· Greed for mineral and natural resources of the region, regularly looted by ruthless national and foreign forces
· Nourished by one or more of the factors above, the separatist inclinations of such or such faction
· The porous borders allowing foreign armed gangs to wreak havoc on Congolese soil
The so-called effectiveness, often insignificant, of the presence of 17,000 MONUSCO peacekeepers, which is a result of the failure of the United Nations in this part of the country.
1. Assistance to women victims of rape and/or of sexual violence, orphans, and girl-mothers.
Local partner: Tulizeni Center, Goma, North Kivu
2. Intensify the fight against impunity by allowing the military prosecutor’s office to sit “in the bush” in order to investigate and grant judgement in cases of indictment of soldiers or militiamen suspected of crimes against citizens, (murder, rape or sexual violence, torture, physical abuse, other inhumane and degrading acts).
Local partners in South Kivu: Military tribunal and UCPDHOIn North Kivu: Association Protection and Solidarity
3 .Protection of abandoned and homeless seniors
Local partner: UCPDHO
4. Monitoring and alerts on blood crimes, medical assistance to victims
Local Partner: ACMEJ * (see next page)
5 Support for young girls who have dropped out of school as a result of war. Relief for abandoned and vulnerable older people.
Local partner: FEDA, Kazimia
Partnership started in October 2015. Tulizeni shelters and protects 93 unaccompanied children and 5 young single mothers with their babies; it also assists 75 widowed or repudiated women in camps of displaced persons. Vivere covered the procedural costs of legal adoption of seven orphans
A mobile court as held in Kazimia in September. The 28 operations held since 2006 aim to:
– bring to trial suspects detained or located in the territory of Fizi who, for various reasons, cannot be transferred to the Uvira court of the military prosecutor’s office
– give food for thought to criminals still at large, as well as those who would be tempted to commit future abuses
– prove to the population of the territories of Fizi and Uvira that justice is finally on the march to spread awareness on the suffering it has had to undergo by the hand of man
A new project was born this year: “Contribution to the fight against impunity for sexual violence in North Kivu”, offering free legal support to 15 victims.
13 old and lonely people with no roof are accommodated in as many foster families, in a form of adoption.13 civilian victims of assaults by armed men received medical attention. Vivere is providing communications and transportation support to the ACMEJ, which conducts surveys over vast areas of the territory.
Bearing of school fees for 26 teenage girls, including several orphans and several teenage mothers.
Two other students are supported in a vocational school in Baraka.
Three elderly men deprived of everything and without a decent roof receive support and multiform assistance.