In our opinion, the main factors of destabilization impeding a durable pacification of the Kivu region are:
- Impunity still benefiting to so many uneducated leaders who have been involved in corruption offenses and blood crimes
- Arms sales to illegal gangs & militias
- Greed for mineral and natural resources of the region, regularly looted by ruthless national and foreign forces
- Nourished by one or more of the factors above, the separatist inclinations of such or such faction
- The porous borders allowing foreign armed gangs to wreak havoc on Congolese soil
- The so-called effectiveness, often insignificant, of the presence of 17,000 MONUSCO peacekeepers, which is a result of the failure of the United Nations in this part of the country.
1. Assistance to women victims of rape and/or of sexual violence, orphans, and girl-mothers.
Local partner: Tulizeni Center, Goma, North Kivu
2. Intensify the fight against impunity by allowing the military prosecutor’s office to sit “in the bush” in order to investigate and grant judgement in cases of indictment of soldiers or militiamen suspected of crimes against citizens (murder, rape or sexual violence, torture, physical abuse, other inhumane and degrading acts).
Local partners in South Kivu: Military tribunal and UCPDHO
Local partner in North Kivu: Association Protection and Solidarity
3. Monitoring and alerts on blood crimes, medical assistance to victims. Long-term assistance to elderly people in total deprivation.
Local Partner: ACMEJ
4. Support for young girls who have dropped out of school as a result of war.
Local partner: FEDA, Kazimia
1. Partnership started in October 2015. Tulizeni shelters and protects 85 unaccompanied children; it also assists 60 widowed or repudiated women in camps of displaced persons.
2. Two mobile court were held in Kiliba in June then in Swima in October during which seven crimes were judged. The 32 operations held since 2006 aim to:
- Bring to trial suspects detained or located in the territory of Fizi who, for various reasons, cannot be transferred to the Uvira court of the military prosecutor’s office
- Give food for thought to criminals still at large, as well as those who would be tempted to commit future abuses
- Prove to the population of the territories of Fizi and Uvira that justice is finally on the march to spread awareness on the suffering it has had to undergo by the hand of man
In North Kivu Vivere supports two lines of work:
- School rehabilitation of 6 underage rape victims on the one hand, and
- Legal defense of 10 victims of sexual violence on the other hand
3. Six civilian victims of assaults by armed men received medical attention. An activist threatened with death by the militia he denounced was taken to safety. Vivere is providing communications and transportation support to the ACMEJ, which conducts surveys over vast areas of the territory. 4 abandoned and homeless elderly people are now protected in Katogota.
4. Bearing of school fees (primary and secondary) for 29 orphan teenage girls, including several teenage mothers. Two other students are supported in a vocational school in Baraka.